Friday, October 03, 2008

My last post was abruptly terminated in mid-sentence by my pc suddenly crashing while I was still deep in a grumble about the Booker shortlist. Salman Rushdie 's Enchantress of Florence did not make it from the longlist to the shortlist but is easily the best work of the whole lot It is profound yet entertaining and has more philosophic content in two pages taken at random than the whole of any of the listed novels.Rushdie should not bother with pedestrian literary prizes like the Booker -- he is now Nobel material.
Nonetheless I love the whole Booker flurry and wouldn't want to see its demise, but it has become a circus for lightweights and cannot be taken seriously any longer.Okay, I'll concede the rare exception as in 2004 with Alan Hollinghurst's haunting Line of Beauty.
In any case whatever the title that wins, the publisher can be assured of huge sales worldwide which itself is a bit of a turn-off.I do loathe being one of a mindless herd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home